During his career as a sculptor, Danie de Jager completed many major commissions around the world. See history for more details. He also sculpted small bronze sculptures of his major commissions.These are available as part of limited editions.
A select few of his large sculptures are also still available for sale.
Please contact us for price list and more information
Born in 1936 near the city of Johannesburg, Danie de Jager grew up in the African bushveld where his love for animals first started.
He completed a 3-year art course at the Johannesburg Technical College Art School and at 24 commenced a career as fulltime sculptor.
He won his first important competition for a sculpture of a monument that year followed by winning awards in several other competitions.
In his career, he completed more than one hundred and twenty larger than life bronze sculptures. Working in realistic and abstract themes he ranks amongst the
most experienced sculptors in the world.
His major works include:
1. Four Monuments commemorating the Anglo Boer War of 1900.
2. Large sculptures (abstract, realistic and animal) for cities all over South Africa, America, and the Middle East.
3. Many large bronzes in private collection. Among them the huge Apollo Fountain in Johannesburg.
4. Sculptures of three former South African Prime Ministers.
5. Two large sculptures of African Presidents.
6. Monument to African King Sobhuza of Swaziland.
7. A large abstract sculpture for the State Theatre named APPLAUSE.
8. Panel for Delville Wood Memorial, France. * Delville Wood Memorial – France.
A large bronze panel measuring 26 x 10 feet (8×3 meter) is part of this Memorial. It is a Memorial commemorating the thousands of lives lost during the First World War, where the Americans also made a large sacrifice. It shows a group of South African soldiers which were the only survivors of the battle.
9. Nineteen large sculptures for the Palace at Lost City. * i) Giraffe Group, ii) Crocodile, iii) Sable Fountain, iv) Cheetah Hunt Fountain, v) Elephant named SHAWU.*
*10 Lost City Sculptures.
This is a large hotel complex called The Palace of The Lost City at Sun City. All fourteen artworks in bronze were done by Danie de Jager. There are two fountains called the Sable Fountain and the Cheetah Hunt. The latter consisting of six double life size Impala antelope chased by two Cheetahs. There is also a life-size group of Giraffes, a bronze abstract crocodile and a life-size bronze elephant named SHAWU.
11. Los Angeles, U.S.A. i) Giraffe Group, ii) Elephant SHAWU.
The elephant SHAWU.
This internationally known sculpture is a life-size bronze of an African elephant. It is the only detailed portrait in the world of an elephant which existed. It was one of the magnificent seven of the Kruger National Park. The sculpture has been seen by millions of people from all over the world and is one of the most photographed animals in the world. A model of this elephant was given by President Nelson Mandela to President Bill Clinton. Also presented to President Bush and Lady Margaret Thatcher. Other models are in private collections in many countries.
12. OSCAR – Cape Fur Seal. 1997.
The Cape Fur Seal 9 ft (2.7 meters) high was commissioned by the Sun International Group. The bronze is placed at the entrance of the Table Bay Hotel on the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town, South Africa.
13. FLYING HORSES & BULLFISH – Atlantis. Paradise Island. Bahamas. 1998 The group of seven bronze Flying Horses with a golden patina, was erected at the Porte-Cochere of the Atlantis Royal Towers Hotel in Atlantis, Bahamas. The Bullfish in bronze, 2,5 meter high, is also part of the legend, erected at “Poseidon’s Gate” of the complex.
14 CAMEL GROUP – Water at last!. Royal Mirage Hotel. Jumeira Beach. Dubai. 1999
A group of seven life-size bronze Camels with riders, depicting a scene in the desert, arriving at an Oasis, erected in front of the Royal Mirage Hotel, Dubai.
15 IMPALA – Gold Reef City. Johannesburg. South Africa. 2000
A group of nine double life-size bronze Impalas with a golden patina was erected in front of the Gold Reef City Casino in Johannesburg.
16 IMPALA – Impala Building. First Ave. 76st Str. Manhattan. New York. U.S.A. 2000
A group of fourteen life-size bronze Impalas was erected in the Court-Yard of the Impala Building in Manhattan, New York.
17 THE FAMILY- The Empire. 188 East 78th Str & 3rd Ave. Manhattan. New York. U.S.A. 2001
A modern group of people depicting a family at the entrance of the Empire Building.
18 ARABIAN HORSES & ABSTRACT HORSE TORSO FOUNTAIN – Al Qasr Hotel Madinat. Jumeira Beach. Dubai. 2003
A group of eighteen 1 1/4 life-size bronze Arabian horses for Al Qasr Hotel and a group of eight double life-size bronze abstract horse torsos for the fountain at the Porte-Cochere of the hotel.